Wednesday, March 30, 2011

This Simple Alteration Ended My Frustration

So I got this great shrug/sweater for Christmas...

It's the perfect cover up for chilly nights (or AC) and it's even a little sexy with the deep V in front and in back. BUT...because of the sexy deep V it was always falling off my shoulders and which also made it a pain to wear! So it was regulated to a dresser drawer until I could figure out what could be done with it.

A month or so later, I picked up this little beauty at a really great price...

And it dawned on me that the crossed elastic was exactly what my shrug needed in order for it to stay on my shoulders! Not only that, but it is a relatively easy fix, just needing some basic sewing implements...

And of course, the trusty machine! The 1'' wide black elastic was no more than a couple of dollars.
So, first I measured across the elastic of the shirt, and added an extra 1/2 inch allowance...

and cut 2 pieces for the top X and 2 pieces for the bottom X...

Then I measured down from the shoulder seam of the shirt to where the elastic began and marked it out on my sweater with pins on both sides. This is where the top of the elastic would start. I did the same thing for where the elastic should cross over to the opposite side of the sweater, again pinning where the top of the elastic should start...

I'm not sure you can see it in the picture, but the edges of the sweater curl up a little, and this is how I was able to hide most of my stitching...

Ready to sew!
BUT........
It still wasn't quite right! It didn't fit as nice as the shirt did, the X wasn't as crisp and I couldn't quite figure out why until it dawned on me that the shirt front is a solid piece of fabric, the sweater is wide open! So after trying it on again, the solution was simple...smaller X! So while wearing it my mom, who happened to be visiting me last week, adjusted the elastic so it fit just right without losing the open back effect yet keeping it on!

Just a quick pic to show the results, the V is just as deep in the front, and it's not possible to wear it (legally) without something underneath. But I have this gorgeous red Andy The Anh dress that it would be perfect over...
J.

No comments:

Post a Comment